SEGA Swirl is an addictive puzzle game that challenges players to align swirls of the same shape (and color on Palm Handhelds that support color displays) to form bigger combos and score lots of points. Swirls of the same shape/color connect up, down, left, and right. Remove the Swirls by tapping on a swirl within the combo that you wish to remove. Tapping once will highlight the combo you’ve chosen to remove. After tapping once, look at the bottom left corner of your screen. You will see a line that tells you how many Swirls are in the combo you’ve chose and how many points you will score by removing that combo. (Example: Combo: 9:284 means that there are 9 Swirls in the chosen combo and you will be awarded 284 points by removing this combo.) If you want to proceed and remove this combo, tap the highlighted area again and the combo will be removed. If you change your mind and you want to remove a different combo, simply tap elsewhere on the screen. Remember, tap once to highlight, tap twice to remove.
SEGA Swirl includes three play modes: Level Mode, Practice Mode, and Head-to-Head Mode.
In Level Mode, you will be challenged to satisfy a group of Goals for the current level. If you can complete the requirements for all five of the level goals by the time all of the Swirls have been removed from the screen, you will advance to the next level. There is an on-screen indicator telling you how many of the goals for the present level are currently satisfied, but you can get more information about the level goals by clicking on the box surrounding the Goals Info (in the middle on the right edge of the screen). The goals for each level include:
1. Largest Combo: You must clear at least this number of Swirls in a single move at some point during the current level.
2. Number of Singles: A swirl that is not connected to any other swirls of the same color is called a "Single". You cannot remove any more than this number of Singles during the current level. You can remove Singles at any time, but there is a -100 point penalty for each Single that is removed. If the user removes all of the Swirls in the current level without removing any Singles, their score for the current level will be doubled.
3. Largest Column Bonus: Whenever you clear all of the remaining Swirls in a column, you receive a Column Bonus. To satisfy this goal, you must clear all of the remaining Swirls in at least this many Columns during a single move at some point during the current level. The more columns that can be removed in a single move, the larger the Column Bonus. If the Big Column Bonus requirement for a level is 3, the user must remove 3 Columns in a single move at some point within that level to satisfy this requirement.
4. Combos: To satisfy this goal, you cannot execute more than this number of moves before clearing all of the Swirls. Each time you remove a group of swirls (of any size) this counts as a Combo.
5. Score: You must score this many points during the current level to satisfy this level goal. If you can remove all of the Swirls during the current level without removing any Singles, your score for the current level will be doubled. This includes points for combos, column bonuses and penalty points for Singles.
Compare your high scores in level mode with scores posted from PC and SEGA Dreamcast Swirl players on www.SegaSwirl.com
In Practice Mode, you want to try to score as many points while clearing all of the Swirls on the playfield. Once you have cleared all of the Swirls, you have completed the game. If you can remove all of the Swirls in the game without removing any Singles, your score for the current game will be doubled. Just like level mode, you can compare your high scores with scores posted from PC and SEGA Dreamcast Swirl players on www.SegaSwirl.com. If the user removes all of the Swirls without removing any Singles in a Practice Mode game, their score for that game will be doubled. There are no additional levels to the practice mode and no minimum requirements to meet.
In the Head-to-Head mode, you can compete against your friends to see who is the true Swirl master! Two users can play against each other using the infrared ports on their handhelds. To play against another™ Palm user:
- Both users must have SEGA Swirl installed on their Palm™ handheld
- Start SEGA Swirl on both Palm™ handhelds
- Select the Head-to-Head mode option on the Mode Select Screen on both Palms
- Select the Goal score and whether or not to play Disappearing Swirls Mode or Standard Mode
- Point the two handhelds towards each other
- Have the first user click Setup IR connection
- Have the second user click Setup IR connection
- When both users have “Start IR Game” listed on their handhelds, have the first player click the Start IR Game button
- Keep the IR ports of the two handhelds pointed at each other throughout the game
Check out the Top Scores that are posted on your handheld in both Level Mode and Practice Mode. The high scores will be saved even after you exit the game. To reset the high scores on your handheld, simply press the Clear Scores button.